Tuesday 15 July 2008

frank

No, not my ex-tutor Frank! Today I had an interview at frank the agency in Wilmslow. On a bit of a whim, I'd applied for the role of Trainee Account Executive a few weeks ago having found it on one of my many trails through the job sites recently. I'd had an email to say that they'd received my application and would be in touch shortly. Much to my surprise, I received another email last week (while I was on holiday - typical!) asking me to go in for an interview. I know, shocking stuff!

So today was the day. My first interview since... *thinking back to my "youth" now* ...well, since my uni interview in 2005! Not one for nerves (I do have the gift of the gab after all), I merrily trotted along to the train station and made my way there. Never having been to Wilmslow before (and being blonde), I got a little lost. Then once I found my way again, I walked straight past Camelia House where frank resides! Though I blame my Google map for that. Luckily I was half an hour early anyway, so I had a little while to acquaint myself with their many awards certificates on the wall as I comfied myself on the couch with the latest Campaign. This was my attempt to look professional, whilst my tiny little legs dangled just off the edge of my seat - not quite the look I was going for, but one cannot help one's midget features!

Then a little before time, I was beckoned into the boardroom, where Mike Smirthwaite and Carl Edwards sat. (Here they are):


Thankfully it was all very laidback - they were both such nice chaps, and the whole thing went surprisingly better than I'd ever thought it would! Even the tough questions like: "Would you say that advertising has a positive impact on our society and the economy?" I managed to answer without sounding like a complete div (or at least I hope so), and I'd like to think that they thought I had something about me and could possibly be good for the job. After finding out a little more about it, I realised what a big deal it would be to bag a job like that, and everything involved in it. Whoever lands the job will have to gen up on their London Eye account with the help of the current Account Director, in order to have any clue what's going on when heading down to London to consult with the client. It also means having the guts to handle the client's needs and write briefs for the creative team in line with these needs so that they can produce the work required. And then having the balls to say to them "No, no, no! That isn't right for the client, I can't go to them with that!" and have them bin it. To then pitch the final work to the client and hope you needn't suffer their wrath this time around! All in all, a very important job indeed. Admittedly, the prospect of it scared me a little, and it isn't the hands-on creative approach I'd love to go into advertising with. But it could be such an amazing opportunity if I were short-listed for the job and was offered it. Hmmmm. *Ponders a little*

At the moment I have a couple of weeks to be thinking about it, as some of their candidates are on holiday, so I have a chance to be weighing up my options should they come back to me with a positive answer. In the meantime, I do have a trip to another agency planned for next week to get some more professional feedback on my book. And as Mike and Carl said to me after seeing my book (I took it along just for the chance for more views on it, though it wasn't necessary for the interview), they asked why on earth I'd applied for the position when I have the capabilities of an advertising creative. I guess my answer would have to be - I just want to get into advertising! I don't see the harm in trying every route that interests me. Some people have tried to deter me from the life of an advertising "suit", but it is something that appeals to my anally retentive organised bossy side, so I'm willing to persue it until I'm proved that it isn't the route for me.

Anyway, enough of my rambling about what may or may not be! At the moment I'm feeling pretty good about the state of my life (though if you'd asked me 24 hours ago, I would've said the complete opposite!) It can be very discouraging having no money and no partner with whom to make the process of entering the crazy world of advertising a little easier. But I've realised that even if I can't afford to take on any placements at the moment, it's really important that I get my lazy ass out there and start making some contacts now and getting some feedback.

So, yeah! ...I'm gonna go and do that... right now... before I change my mind... : )

3 comments:

jpandtem@googlemail.com said...

Take the job.

Produce your own ideas, present them aswell as the creative teams. If the works good they would be stupid not to move you into the creative department.

You will learn some interesting things about 'the dark side' and get to meet clients etc... then use the position to your advantage.

I can easily dispense this advice because i'm not in your position, but you did say, a way in is a way in.

Good luck!

Hayley said...

I've definitely been thinking that more and more - a job in advertising is exactly that, and the option is always there to be shifted about. Plus it's experience under the belt that's much needed at the moment, regardless of it being within the creative department or not.

Thanks for your advice, guys! : )

Biscuit Barrel said...

All sounds positive. Jpandtem are right (as usual!) You get your foot in the door and then you can work your way through to the position you think suits you best.

Looking forward to this email! Kept me waiting! :p

LB