Monday 6 October 2008

Kentucky Fried Chicken and a... Pasta Hut?


Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for healthier options, but to totally re-brand the company is taking it a step too far. As you'd expect, Pizza Hut made its name with pizzas, and no amount of re-branding will change that perception. But in changing all of their outlets (albeit only for a trial period), is there not a greater risk of putting their customers off instead?

Supposedly pasta dishes are to become the predominant choice, with pizza taking a backseat. This feels as wrong as when MacDonalds introduced salads to their menus, but at least they didn't overhaul the brand to achieve it. Maybe I think too much with my advertising head, but surely a clever little campaign to promote a shift in the range of meals being made available would have been better, not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper!

Having said all that, I'll no doubt be heading in there some time soon to check it out. Never been one to let a bit of branding get in the way of my love for food! But until then, I'll be looking out for my nearest Kentucky Grilled Chicken or Salad King.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think there's a chance that they're doing a full re-brand. Even their website implies it's just a gimmick.

Anyway, it's a great PR move -- everyone's talking about it in the press and social media.

Can't imagine why anyone would go to Pizza Hut for a pasta though, when they can pop to their local Italian for something a bit more authentic.

Fried square pasta with a stuffed crust? Nah.

Hayley said...

I was pretty disappointed with it, I must admit. The menus still feature pizza as the dominant option, with just a small sidebar for the pasta. Salmon pasta bake was nice, but not too dissimilar to something you could pick up at the supermarket to be honest.

Plus everyone else was still ordering pizzas. Utterly pointless re-brand, whether it be temporary or permanent. So far I've yet to hear anything positive said about it, which surely can only be damaging for the company, even if it's only to be a short-term re-brand.

But it's still early days, so we'll see where it goes!