Tuesday 26 February 2008

Some firm but gentle prodding (just how I like it!)

Slightly late post, but hey, you'll just have to get used to that with me! Yesterday we were lucky enough to have 2 ex-students come in to chat to us about their lives in the industry so far and giving us some sound advice on what to do to ram down the door at JWT/Saatchi & Saatchi/BBH/TBWA/McCann Erickson (delete as applicable) and get ourselves some stonkingly fab jobs. Obviously nobody could ever be as awe-inspiring as the god of BBH (loving the Hegarty!) but these lads had their heads screwed on right and were great to talk to.

I managed to get in to see Paul with my portfolio (a tad extensive as it was, oops!) and was glad of the time he could give me to go over my work and give me some pointers (and cruel dismissals that were entirely needed!) Came away from it feeling more positive than I have done in weeks what with the pressure that's been building in class due to the crap briefs we've had recently. Sure you need to be able to advertise everything, but throw us a few ruddy product campaigns every once in a while please! But yeah, I took onboard a lot of what Paul said - of course I wasn't gonna agree with everything he said (because that just wouldn't be me!) but mainly he confirmed a few things that I'd already suspected which really helped me, and he seemed keen that I add some of my 2nd year work to my book, especially my Play-Doh (a-woo-hoo!!) He suggested I see Harinder with it too, but unfortunately the queue was rather long at 4pm. But I'm hoping to email them both very soon and maybe I'll get a chance to see them with my book again some day at Love Creative or JWT (preferably both!) : )

Looking forward to getting stuck into some new briefs, particularly going to crack on over Easter and have a bash at writing some of my own, as well as re-visiting some previous work and giving it a damn good tarting up. Can't wait to extend my Play-Doh campaign and see what else I can come up with. Watch this space guys - Coming Soon to a Blog Near You!

No comments: