Saturday 28 June 2008

The barefaced cheek of it

*Sigh* As expected, this putting of one's foot on the proverbial ladder to an amazing career is going slowly. Unfortunately standing on a roof and shouting "I have a 2:1 in Advertising!" won't get agencies flocking for my services (though I haven't actually tried it...) I've even resorted to dole dossing in a bid to get some money coming in (a little unnerving walking into the job centre in Wigan and instantly getting the impression the chav posse are going to kick your head in!)

But hey, it's just for a little while (dear lord, I hope so!) and I have applied for a few junior copywriter positions in the meantime. And when boredom strikes, perhaps I'll send some more cheeky little emails to the recruitment people at McCann Erickson! You don't get if you don't ask, after all! : )

So yeah, just to let you guys know what I'm up to at the moment besides working on the old folio - reworking some of the old stuff after having seen Alan Young at New Blood, and will see where it goes. Going to keep a look out for other brands to be having a crack at in the meantime though - feeling like I need something totally new and exciting (or even mind-numbingly boring) to stoke my creative engines.

Until my day of creative reckoning dawns, look out for more unemployed ramblings here! : )

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Dave Birss told us that it was good to be unemployed for a while (although we may not like it.) It give you the drive and determination to do what you want. Just make sure you keep going with the work and keep going for crits. Also get intouch with a few recruitment agencies, they have the inside on jobs and other people who need a partner.

Im on the dole too, unfortunately they dont have a code for advertising so im stuck in the sales/graphic design section with a warning note next to it!

We've got a few things coming up that look promising and im sure you'll get something good coming your way too, but just make sure you go looking for it.

Hayley said...

Cheers girls, it's good to know you're not alone in the "unemployed" bracket. It has to be the shittest thing in Shitville lol!

Don't you worry, this "no job" lark is really revving me up to get out there and advertise my ass off, so fingers crossed something comes up soon!

Good luck to you, too - I'm sure you'll be on your way soon enough, you've got the right attitude about you : )