Thursday 8 January 2009

Smile, it might never happen!

People say this to me. A lot. I sometimes wonder if I should be concerned that said people tend to be ageing males, usually spouting this nonsense at me when I'm walking in the pitch black to or from my house. Perhaps it's a come-on (though none have been holding bags of sweets), or perhaps I'm just a grumpy looking cow when I'm haring down the street. Whatever the answer to any of these questions, I've decided that this phrase should be my mantra from now on.

My hair looks shit. The train's been cancelled. Everything's so expensive I may need to sell my liver on the black market. Does it really bloody matter? Hell, I'm the biggest whinging woman you'll probably ever meet. I love a good venting session, generally scheduled for once every, oooh, 10 minutes? But besides making me feel less like exploding, it just makes me feel blah about everything I see, do, feel, etc.

Today for example, I received an email from another placement possibility me & Sarah had lined up for the new year. Unfortunately I discovered that having been hit by the recession, we will not just be walking into that agency and merrily going about our creative work, but will have to wait until there's money available for us to be brought in. This could have made me very sad, but the point is that we're still wanted at the agency when the future is a little bit brighter, so what's not to be happy about?

So it may be a tad late, but my New Year's resolution is to think positive. Namby-pamby, wishy-washy, whatever you want to call it - it might not save the world but it might help me & Sarah to be in the right place at the right time for something to happen. And it might stop strange men from talking to me in the street.

No comments: